Armagh City (population 14,640) is the county capital of Armagh
and the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland. The Archbishops of
both the Roman Catholic Church and the Church of Ireland reside
in the city. Queen's University at Armagh Outreach Centre was
established in 1995 and is a growing academic institution.
Armagh Planetarium on College Hill.
Navan Fort, which was home to the kings of Ulster, is just over
3 kilometres west of the city. The site dates back to 700 BC,
and traces of man have been found at the site that date back
to 5500 BC. There is an interpretive centre near the fort. http://www.navan.com/
On The Mall East are Armagh County Museum (+44 28 37523070)
and The Royal Irish Fusiliers Museum (+44 28 37522911).
There has been a church on the site of Saint Patrick's Church
of Ireland Cathedral for the past 1500 years. Brian Ború
was buried on the north side of the cathedral after he was killed
in 1014 after the Battle of Clontarf.
The Archbishop Robinson's Palace Demesne on Friary Road was
built in 1769 when Robinson was made primate of Ireland. The
main attraction is the Armagh Palace Stables Heritage Centre,
which houses exhibits on life in the 18th-century. However,
there are many other things to explore in the grounds themselves.
Saint Patrick's Trian Heritage Centre on English Street focuses
on the theme of faith. There is also a Land of Lilliput exhibition,
featuring a giant model of Jonathan Swift's Gulliver.
The brand new Market Place Armagh Theatre and Arts Centre in
There are three 18-hole golf courses in the area, and one 9-hole
The Orchard Leisure Centre on Folly Lane (+44 28 37515920) and
Tandragee Recreation Centre (+44 28 38841110) offer facilities
for most indoor sports. There are also outdoor pitches at Tandragee,
the Cathedral Road Recreation Centre (+44 28 37518338), and
Ardmore Recreation Centre on Ballinahonemore Road (+44 28 3751
There are buses to Belfast, Enniskillen, Galway, Dublin, and
details for Armagh
dialling from the Republic of Ireland, replace +44 28 with
Southern Regional Office
28 3752 2281
City and District Council
Back to Top