or Ceannanus Mór (population 3,542) is situated 38 miles
north west of Dublin on the N3. It was the location of a monastery
founded by Saint Colmcille in 559.
The town is best known for the Book of Kells, which is on display
in Trinity College Dublin.
The site of the pagan Tailteann games half way between Navan
The grounds of the Church of Saint Columba feature a 10th-century
Round Tower, a bell tower dating as far back as 1076, three
9th-century High Crosses and the stem of a fourth. The 1,000-year-old
Saint Colmcille's House is just outside the churchyard walls.
Until recently, there was another 9th-century High Cross in
the busy market square. Local rebels were hanged from the arms
of this cross after the 1798 uprising. Over the years, the cross
was being exposed to increasingly heavy traffic travelling through
the town. It was knocked over recently, and it has been taken
away for repair. Where it will be relocated has not yet been
Three kilometres north west of Kells is the Hill of Lloyd Tower
(1791). You can climb up the 30-metre tower for a small fee.
The town also has a new Heritage Centre.
Headfort Golf Club is just outside Kells on the N3.
alley and gym
Park and Paupers' Grave
are 17 Bus Éireann buses to Dublin each day.
details for Kells
or(01) 8366222 http://www.irishrail.ie/
Back to Top